Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version

Electronic Engineer Discuss

View: 5785|Reply: 0

iphone apidictor for acoustal beehive swarm detection

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

注册会员

Credits
Post time 2017-12-12 14:08:53 | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello,

I'm a novice honeybee enthusiast....

I came across an article about Eddie Woods and his acoustical swarm detection machine, the Apidictor. I was able to use the iphone app n-track for real-time frequency filtering of the hive sounds and provide a close reproduction of what I think Eddie heard. I'm not selling anything.... I'm interested in using readily available technology to study bee behavior... err beehavior..

Here is a link the the analysis, sounds, and results

Eddie described a 'hiss' and a 'warble' occurring at different frequencies. The hiss occurs above 3,000hz after knocking the hive with an open hand. The warble occurs at around 250hz and is an indicator of hive problems.

I was able to record two different hives in the above 3,000 hz range and the knocks were followed by a nice audible hiss in most cases. Out of about 9 knocks I would get 3-4 strong hisses and more hisses could be detected after further sound amplification on the PC using the free software Audacity. This makes sense as it is still winter here in Portland, Oregon and there should not be any preparations for swarming. I also recorded to hives in the 250 hz frequency and did not hear any warbling. There was a low drone. I'm looking forward to hearing some warbling as we move into spring in summer.

thanks

more details:

Cloud Marketing Examples

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Dark room|Mobile|Archiver|Electronic Engineer Discuss

2024-4-18 19:24 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.189791 second(s), 21 queries .